The group Muskego for Ethical Government has now officially filed its intention to drop its recall petition against former Alderman Keith Werner, Sharon Mueller, director of finance and administration, said today.
Because Werner resigned last week, the Common Council can now go ahead with its usual appointment process to fill his position, she said. That could come as early as Tuesday night. Werner's term expires in April 2013.
Werner resigned, saying he wanted to spare the city the cost of a recall election. His original resignation date was June 2, which is after the recall filing deadline. If he had stuck to his original resignation date, the city would have had to hold a recall election, even though Werner had resigned, officials said.
Werner cited increased work commitments as the reason for his resignation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school breakfast draws large representation
- New Berlin School District sells former Glen Park Elementary School
- School heating, cooling projects win most support in New Berlin survey
- New Berlin may get hospital emergency department
- Muskego and New Berlin Police Reports: Nov. 13
- New Berlin to get citywide residential trash pickups
- Calendar: Nov. 13
- News and Notes: Nov.13
- Police Blotter: Nov. 6
- New Berlin and Muskego News and Notes: Nov. 6