The group Muskego for Ethical Government has now officially filed its intention to drop its recall petition against former Alderman Keith Werner, Sharon Mueller, director of finance and administration, said today.
Because Werner resigned last week, the Common Council can now go ahead with its usual appointment process to fill his position, she said. That could come as early as Tuesday night. Werner's term expires in April 2013.
Werner resigned, saying he wanted to spare the city the cost of a recall election. His original resignation date was June 2, which is after the recall filing deadline. If he had stuck to his original resignation date, the city would have had to hold a recall election, even though Werner had resigned, officials said.
Werner cited increased work commitments as the reason for his resignation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- New Berlin schools facing $1.35 million structural deficit under walker plan
- New Berlin schools did 'due diligence' in hiring coach: spokeswoman