After gathering signatures Saturday and Sunday, Muskego for Ethical Government reported varying results in its efforts to recall Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti, Alderwoman Neome Schaumberg and Alderman Keith Werner.
In terms of percentages, on the low end was drive against the mayor - the group had collected only about 16 percent of the required 3,005 signatures. The group is shooting for 3,400 to give a cushion, said Lorie Oliver who is spearheading the drive. It got about 500 signatures while manning a location on Janesville Road last weekend.
The group was about half way to recalling Werner and a third of the way to recalling Schaumberg, the group reported today. It needs 360 signatures for Werner and 430 for Schaumberg, Oliver said.
The group has 60 days from when it filed with City Hall on March 29 to gather the required number of signatures.
The recall petition drive attracted opposition in the form of counter-recall proponents from Stand Up Muskego and Muskego Proud. Some held up signs to dissuade motorists from stopping and signing the recall petitions. Some motorists waiting to sign were approached in their cars, Oliver said.
At least once, police were on the scene, but did not issue citations to any of the three groups.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police blotter: Feb. 4
- Inclusive playground to replace splashpad plan in New Berlin
- Beloved musical, 'Dreamcoat,' to open at New Berlin West PAC on Friday
- Probe continues into alleged New Berlin West teacher misconduct (1)
- BuySeasons of New Berlin to permanently lay off 128 employees
- New Berlin, Junior Woman's Club shelve splashpad, favor playground
- New Berlin Lions hold Parade of Checks topping off club's 65th year
- Gov. Scott Walker coming to New Berlin schools to honor career efforts (10)
- New Berlin and Muskego police blotter: Jan. 21, 2016
- Community service projects debut at New Berlin Public Library