Muskego Alderman Keith Werner, who is a subject of a recall effort, has resigned effective June 2.
In his resignation letter, he wrote, "During the course of the month of May, I will be taking on additional responsibilities with my full time employer which may reduce my availability to represent the constituents of District 4."
Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti, also a target of a recall effort, said Werner has been struggling for months to make Common Council meetings after his work schedule changed to evenings.
Werner was elected last year to a two-year term representing District 4, and it is unclear how the vacancy will be filled. Ordinarily, the council would appoint a successor. But the recall effort might change that, Chiaverotti said.
The recall effort is mainly over his voting with a majority of the council to not put a controversial proposal to create a park on Little Muskego Lake to a referendum. Such a referendum was called for in a petition signed by more than 3,400 residents.
In announcing his resignation, Werner also wrote: "It has been a privilege to represent the constituents and the citizens of the city of Muskego. In my last five plus years on council, many decisions were made as a representative government that were in the best interest of the community. We are reaping the benefits of those decisions now. I am proud of my tenure."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police blotter: Feb. 4
- Inclusive playground to replace splashpad plan in New Berlin
- Beloved musical, 'Dreamcoat,' to open at New Berlin West PAC on Friday
- Probe continues into alleged New Berlin West teacher misconduct (1)
- BuySeasons of New Berlin to permanently lay off 128 employees
- New Berlin, Junior Woman's Club shelve splashpad, favor playground
- New Berlin Lions hold Parade of Checks topping off club's 65th year
- Gov. Scott Walker coming to New Berlin schools to honor career efforts (10)
- New Berlin and Muskego police blotter: Jan. 21, 2016
- Community service projects debut at New Berlin Public Library