New Berlin - With 102 units of controversial lower-income housing either finished or under construction in the New Berlin City Center, its developer MSP Real Estate is back with another proposal.
This time, MSP plans to build 75 additional units, of which 15 would be lower-income housing, at 14900 W. Library Lane, across the street from the current development. The city's Plan Commission could consider those plans as early as Dec. 3.
A second phase
The proposal, which MSP is calling phase two of its Deer Creek development, ran into a glitch initially. The city had planned to extend Deer Creek Parkway north through the City Center to connect with National Avenue. That would have significantly affected MSP's plans.
However, aldermen didn't want to pursue the road plan, said Greg Kessler, director of community development. For various reasons, the city has not put through other roads that also were originally planned.
With Plan Commission approval, the newest project could be under construction in spring, Kessler said.
Tenants are already moving into two of the recently completed 34-unit lower-income buildings. A third is under construction. The project also includes a 34-unit senior citizen building, also under construction.
MSP's original much-larger workforce development proposal triggered opposition that led to two lawsuits. Opponents said workforce housing is counter to the original vision for the City Center, which they said was for upscale shops and housing.
The federal Department of Justice and MSP filed separate lawsuits alleging the city violated federal fair housing laws. The city settled the DOJ lawsuit and withdrew its opposition to the workforce housing.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app
- New Berlin annual meeting tug-of-war
- New Berlin firefighters present record breaking check to mda
- New Berlin may contract with Waukesha Fire Department for an underserved section of city
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 21, 2014 issue
- Developer uses drone video to demonstrate proposal
- Levy hike predicted for N.B. schools
- Costco moves forward, despite concerns
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue