New Berlin — The man who threatened a local pharmacist with a shotgun because he refused to fill a prescription for pain killers has been criminally charged with armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a repeat offender.
The Waukesha County District Attorney's Office filed the charges against Scott Wimer, 43, of Milwaukee. Wimer is a repeat offender, having been convicted of retail theft in August 2013 and in January 2011, according to the criminal complaint.
Wimer was frustrated because he had allegedly tried to get the prescription for pain killers filled at two other pharmacies before being refused at the New Berlin Pharmacy, 14105 W. Greenfield Road, about 3:30 p.m. July 9, according to the complaint:
Pharmacist and owner Robert Steib told the defendant that the doctor's DEA number had expired making the prescription illegitimate. The man's insurance also allegedly denied coverage, according to the complaint.
After an argument, the defendant left and allegedly came back with a shotgun, demanding that the prescription be filled, the complaint states.
By that time, other employees and customers had left and police called.
The defendant looked away for a moment and Steib tried to shoot him with an electronic stun gun but the gun didn't work. Steib said he was able to replace the gun before the defendant noticed.
Steib then filled the prescription and the defendant paid for it, not having quite enough to cover the cost, the complaint stated. He handed the unloaded shotgun over to Steib and the pharmacist fled through a back door.
Meanwhile, New Berlin police had surrounded the pharmacy and Wimer allegedly said he swallowed the entire prescription of 21 Oxycodone pills in an effort to kill himself. He then surrendered to police.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin Hills golf course neighbors speak to council about concerns over a new driving range
- New Berlin planners to hold month of input sessions about future of remainiing rural sections
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: March 26, 2015
- Neighbors of New Berlin Hills golf course question proposed driving range (3)
- Recycling textiles and local foods studied by New Berlin students
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- 'Pinocchio,' a musical, slated for West Performing Arts Center at New Berlin West Middle and High Sc
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: March 19, 2015
- New Berlin School Board candidates battle on issues of educational direction and spending