The Muskego Common Council on Tuesday approved a controversial rezoning needed for DJs Pub & Grill to rebuild after its building at W18040 Janesville Road is demolished in the Janesville Road widening.
The property had been zoned for single-family homes and DJs, which has been in business for 90 years, was a legal but nonconforming use. While it could operate under that zoning, it couldn't rebuild.
The new zoning allows the commercial and residential development that Dan Hewitt who has owned DJs for 30 years plans.
Controversy arose because those plans call for the business to be twice as big as it is. Hewitt wants to expand from the current 1,800 square feet to 3,600 square feet.
While some neighbors want DJs to go away entirely, others are fine with it being rebuilt the same size as it is. They worry that a larger bar/restaurant with a bigger parking lot would result in them being disturbed late at night by patrons coming and going.
But Hewitt said rebuilding at the same size won't work for him.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Southeast New Berlin gas station becoming a robbery target
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- New Berlin librarian leaves an improved facility and grateful staff
- Police Report: April 14
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- New Berlin incumbent alderman defeated by former Illinois mayor