The Muskego Common Council on Tuesday approved a controversial rezoning needed for DJs Pub & Grill to rebuild after its building at W18040 Janesville Road is demolished in the Janesville Road widening.
The property had been zoned for single-family homes and DJs, which has been in business for 90 years, was a legal but nonconforming use. While it could operate under that zoning, it couldn't rebuild.
The new zoning allows the commercial and residential development that Dan Hewitt who has owned DJs for 30 years plans.
Controversy arose because those plans call for the business to be twice as big as it is. Hewitt wants to expand from the current 1,800 square feet to 3,600 square feet.
While some neighbors want DJs to go away entirely, others are fine with it being rebuilt the same size as it is. They worry that a larger bar/restaurant with a bigger parking lot would result in them being disturbed late at night by patrons coming and going.
But Hewitt said rebuilding at the same size won't work for him.
- Weeklong New Berlin playground community build yields wonderland
- Courtyard dedicated to two retiring New Berlin school administrators
- Muskego, New Berlin to salute Memorial Day with observances
- Muskego, New Berlin schools evaluate transgender guidelines
- New Berlin man faces abuse charges stemming from alleged choking
- New Berlin Police Blotter: May 26, 2016 (1)
- New Berlin student awarded $5,000 Herb Kohl scholarship
- Army officer who lost legs to give motivational talks in New Berlin
- Possible scam might be targeting New Berlin businesses
- New Berlin theatrical productions win statewide recognition