The Muskego Common Council on Tuesday approved a controversial rezoning needed for DJs Pub & Grill to rebuild after its building at W18040 Janesville Road is demolished in the Janesville Road widening.
The property had been zoned for single-family homes and DJs, which has been in business for 90 years, was a legal but nonconforming use. While it could operate under that zoning, it couldn't rebuild.
The new zoning allows the commercial and residential development that Dan Hewitt who has owned DJs for 30 years plans.
Controversy arose because those plans call for the business to be twice as big as it is. Hewitt wants to expand from the current 1,800 square feet to 3,600 square feet.
While some neighbors want DJs to go away entirely, others are fine with it being rebuilt the same size as it is. They worry that a larger bar/restaurant with a bigger parking lot would result in them being disturbed late at night by patrons coming and going.
But Hewitt said rebuilding at the same size won't work for him.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: Feb. 26, 2015
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- New Berlin schools facing $1.35 million structural deficit under walker plan
- New Berlin schools did 'due diligence' in hiring coach: spokeswoman