A letter to Poplar Creek Elementary School parents seeks to ease fears that school would be deluged with 180 students if Glen Park Elementary School closes.
Poplar Creek parents were apparently upset by a blog written by the Save Our Schools group of Glen Park parents who oppose the potential closing of the New Berlin school. Many parents also apparently received the blog in email form.
In making the statement that 180 Glen Park children could end up at Poplar Creek, the blog said it was quoting an option in the recent facilities study that consultant IFF did for the New Berlin School Board.
But in the rebuttal letter issued before the weekend and signed by the principal and assistant principal, the administrators flatly denied that assertion.
"…That has never been considered or discussed by us, our district administrators, nor the board as a whole," the letter reads in part. "We certainly would certainly never support such a plan."
That would fill the 490-student Poplar Creek to capacity and the letter says: "No one on our board or administrative staff has ever envisioned, discussed or proposed filling any of our schools to a capacity of 100 percent."
The letter signed by Principal Jane Gennerman and Assistant Principal Brady Reinke seems to leave the door open for Poplar Creek getting some Glen Park students, though. Finding places to put the nearly 300 Glen Park students would involve "all or nearly all of the other elementaries in our district," the letter reads.
The School Board plans to talk about and possibly act on the IFF facilities report that suggests closing Glen Park on Dec. 19.
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- 11-year-old turns on New Berlin emergency sirens as test
- Most musical Fourth of July ever, coming to New Berlin in 2016
- New Berlin to celebrate America and community Fourth of July festivities in 2016
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Event to benefit New Berlin Police canine officer
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego
- New Berlin Holy Apostles Festival to swing into three days of fun
- Muskego Campus News: UW-Whitewater, South Dakota State, Carthage College
- New Berlin Police blotter: June 23, 2016