A developer is asking the West Allis-West Milwaukee School Board if it will release about 4.5 acres of vacant land to the New Berlin School District so that all of the apartment buildings it wants to construct can be in the same school district.
The Thomson Corp. plans to build four apartment buildings on the land located on the south side of National Avenue approximately between 132nd and 136th streets in the city of New Berlin.
One building would be in the New Berlin School District and the other three in the WA-WM district. Thomson officials want all four to be in the New Berlin district, as are the other 14 apartment buildings in the Stonegate Apartments complex.
Dean Frederick, Thomson vice president, told the West Allis School Board Business Services Committee on Monday night, said children living in those apartments there could study together and go to the library together if they are all in one school district. Families also could move within the complex without worrying about their children having to change schools, he said.
Taxes are the same for both school districts, Frederick said, and the only taxes West Allis would lose would be on vacant land.
The School Board will vote on the request Monday. The New Berlin School Board also would have to approve the transfer. That board will also meet Monday and may take up the request.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin police warn of scams, make dozens of arrests in January
- New Berlin Police report: Feb. 11
- One family's story of poverty
- Special report: Poverty spills into schools in every corner of southeast metro area (7)
- Probe of possible New Berlin teacher, student sexual contact continues
- Burglaries, car theft among New Berlin, Muskego cases in courts
- Police blotter: Feb. 4
- Inclusive playground to replace splashpad plan in New Berlin
- Beloved musical, 'Dreamcoat,' to open at New Berlin West PAC on Friday
- Probe continues into alleged New Berlin West teacher misconduct (1)