New Berlin - Police issued a warning Thursday about a burglary ring that has committed at least 14 break-ins since mid-December in at least seven municipalities in the region.
Most of the burglaries have occurred in the morning and the suspects are believed to be men in their 20s to 30s, New Berlin police said Thursday.
Five of the burglaries have occurred in New Berlin. Residences in Brookfield, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Menomonee Falls, Milwaukee and West Allis also have been hit.
In New Berlin, the burglars have driven through neighborhoods on weekday mornings after people have left for work and look for houses that do not appear to be occupied, Lt. Mike Glider stated in a news release.
Suspects follow routine
They knock on doors and if no one answers, they go to the rear of the home and force their way in, Glider said.
If someone answers, the burglars have stated that they are looking for someone and must have stopped at the wrong home, Glider said.
In New Berlin, most of the burglaries have occurred before noon.
Items taken have included weapons, jewelry and televisions.
Sometimes vehicles are stolen as well.
Police said residents should watch for suspicious vehicles and people and call police to report any such activity. The New Berlin Police Department number is (262) 782-6640.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- New Berlin schools did 'due diligence' in hiring coach: spokeswoman
- New Berlin schools facing $1.35 million structural deficit under walker plan
- Some fees will increase at New Berlin Hills golf course this year