New Berlin - Police issued a warning Thursday about a burglary ring that has committed at least 14 break-ins since mid-December in at least seven municipalities in the region.
Most of the burglaries have occurred in the morning and the suspects are believed to be men in their 20s to 30s, New Berlin police said Thursday.
Five of the burglaries have occurred in New Berlin. Residences in Brookfield, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Menomonee Falls, Milwaukee and West Allis also have been hit.
In New Berlin, the burglars have driven through neighborhoods on weekday mornings after people have left for work and look for houses that do not appear to be occupied, Lt. Mike Glider stated in a news release.
Suspects follow routine
They knock on doors and if no one answers, they go to the rear of the home and force their way in, Glider said.
If someone answers, the burglars have stated that they are looking for someone and must have stopped at the wrong home, Glider said.
In New Berlin, most of the burglaries have occurred before noon.
Items taken have included weapons, jewelry and televisions.
Sometimes vehicles are stolen as well.
Police said residents should watch for suspicious vehicles and people and call police to report any such activity. The New Berlin Police Department number is (262) 782-6640.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Reservations for Waukesha County Parks start Jan. 2
- Antique apple growers ask to plant at New Berlin Historic Park
- Eisenhower Dance Team steps to victory
- Breakfast with Santa is making a comeback Saturday for Eisenhower cheerleaders.
- New Berlin Boy Scouts cleared for campout in park
- New Berlin drops some swim lessons due to lifeguard shortage
- New Berlin landmark status could be ahead for three 1800s buildings
- A child's disability bolsters mother's faith, strength and community giving
- Wishes in Wonderland will raise money for Children's Hospital and Make-A-Wish
- 'Oklahoma!' hitches to New Berlin theater this weekend