New Berlin - Police issued a warning Thursday about a burglary ring that has committed at least 14 break-ins since mid-December in at least seven municipalities in the region.
Most of the burglaries have occurred in the morning and the suspects are believed to be men in their 20s to 30s, New Berlin police said Thursday.
Five of the burglaries have occurred in New Berlin. Residences in Brookfield, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Menomonee Falls, Milwaukee and West Allis also have been hit.
In New Berlin, the burglars have driven through neighborhoods on weekday mornings after people have left for work and look for houses that do not appear to be occupied, Lt. Mike Glider stated in a news release.
Suspects follow routine
They knock on doors and if no one answers, they go to the rear of the home and force their way in, Glider said.
If someone answers, the burglars have stated that they are looking for someone and must have stopped at the wrong home, Glider said.
In New Berlin, most of the burglaries have occurred before noon.
Items taken have included weapons, jewelry and televisions.
Sometimes vehicles are stolen as well.
Police said residents should watch for suspicious vehicles and people and call police to report any such activity. The New Berlin Police Department number is (262) 782-6640.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app
- New Berlin firefighters present record breaking check to mda
- New Berlin may contract with Waukesha Fire Department for an underserved section of city
- Developer uses drone video to demonstrate proposal
- Levy hike predicted for N.B. schools
- Costco moves forward, despite concerns
- Spending survey for New Berlin Schools to launch in September
- Budget calls for decrease
- New Berlin police notes