New Berlin police snag mailbox theft ring
Police reel in big mouth bass mailbox thieves
New Berlin - Police have busted up a high school student theft ring that has been snatching bass-shaped mailboxes from residences.
Ten New Berlin West students who called themselves the "Bass Hunters" were involved in the thefts, and seven of the bass mailboxes have been recovered, Lt. Mike Glider said Monday.
The oversized fish mailboxes began disappearing from the north side of New Berlin in August, Glider said, and a couple of the mailboxes were stolen during the second week of November.
The thieves were netted after a "good, thorough investigation by the school resource officer at New Berlin West," Glider said.
He declined to provide specifics of how the theft ring was broken up or what led authorities to suspect New Berlin West students were involved.
"That's all we can say at this time since we are still in the process of talking to all those involved," Glider said. "We are still determining who the principal players were and who was a party to the crimes."
Glider said those involved will receive municipal summonses in connection with the thefts.
Police said they plan to return the boxes to their owners.
The department also is contacting other police departments in the area to see whether they have had similar thefts in recent months.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Irish dancer to visit Muskego
- New Berlin students won regional Scholastic Art Awards for 55 works of art, with 11 art pieces advan
- Two new eateries opening in New Berlin
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'