New Berlin police snag mailbox theft ring
Police reel in big mouth bass mailbox thieves
New Berlin - Police have busted up a high school student theft ring that has been snatching bass-shaped mailboxes from residences.
Ten New Berlin West students who called themselves the "Bass Hunters" were involved in the thefts, and seven of the bass mailboxes have been recovered, Lt. Mike Glider said Monday.
The oversized fish mailboxes began disappearing from the north side of New Berlin in August, Glider said, and a couple of the mailboxes were stolen during the second week of November.
The thieves were netted after a "good, thorough investigation by the school resource officer at New Berlin West," Glider said.
He declined to provide specifics of how the theft ring was broken up or what led authorities to suspect New Berlin West students were involved.
"That's all we can say at this time since we are still in the process of talking to all those involved," Glider said. "We are still determining who the principal players were and who was a party to the crimes."
Glider said those involved will receive municipal summonses in connection with the thefts.
Police said they plan to return the boxes to their owners.
The department also is contacting other police departments in the area to see whether they have had similar thefts in recent months.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Walmart is now in the zone for development in New Berlin
- New Berlin schools try to get students ready for work
- New Berlin developer favors condos where single-family homes were planned
- New Berlin Walmart plan advances after panel recommends zoning change
- Walmart finds key city support for its New Berlin plans
- WKCE scores aren't as bad as they look in Muskego and New Berlin
- New Berlin and Brookfield chambers consider how Walmart will make a difference in business
- Flood control is part of Walmart plan in New Berlin
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School needs work, community says
- Opposition group zones in on Walmart's New Berlin plans