A 29-year-old drunken driver from Brookfield collided with a New Berlin police squad car and led officers on a chase Saturday morning that reached up to 95 mph and ended when the suspect's car struck a curb, police said.
It was the second time in a month that a drunken driver had struck a staffed New Berlin police car.
The man's car collided with a New Berlin police squad car at 12:34 a.m. Saturday in the 1800 block of S. Calhoun Road, but the driver didn't stop. That started a 1.5-mile high-speed pursuit with a police officer. When the officer stopped pursuing, the man's car struck a curb at the intersection of S. Calhoun Road and W. Blue Mound Road in Brookfield, disabling the vehicle.
The driver was arrested on suspicion of eluding an officer, hit-and-run and first-offense drunken driving.
It was nearly a month to the day - about 2 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11 - that another drunken driver of similar age hit a squad car at the intersection of W. Greenfield Ave. and S Calhoun Road. That driver, a 28-year-old Milwaukee man, was arrested on suspicion of third-offense drunken driving and failure to yield right of way.
Nobody was injured in either of the incidents.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin schools move on following coach's drug bust
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Walmart to open March 11 on Greenfield Avenue in New Berlin
- New Berlin water service upgrades could begin in May
- Complaint: Former New Berlin West basketball coach busted after police find pot in his school office (3)
- Kelly Lake residents improving fishing for those with limitations
- New Berlin Eisenhower High School students to perform 'Bye Bye Birdie'
- New Berlin schools did 'due diligence' in hiring coach: spokeswoman
- New Berlin schools facing $1.35 million structural deficit under walker plan
- Some fees will increase at New Berlin Hills golf course this year