A 29-year-old drunken driver from Brookfield collided with a New Berlin police squad car and led officers on a chase Saturday morning that reached up to 95 mph and ended when the suspect's car struck a curb, police said.
It was the second time in a month that a drunken driver had struck a staffed New Berlin police car.
The man's car collided with a New Berlin police squad car at 12:34 a.m. Saturday in the 1800 block of S. Calhoun Road, but the driver didn't stop. That started a 1.5-mile high-speed pursuit with a police officer. When the officer stopped pursuing, the man's car struck a curb at the intersection of S. Calhoun Road and W. Blue Mound Road in Brookfield, disabling the vehicle.
The driver was arrested on suspicion of eluding an officer, hit-and-run and first-offense drunken driving.
It was nearly a month to the day - about 2 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11 - that another drunken driver of similar age hit a squad car at the intersection of W. Greenfield Ave. and S Calhoun Road. That driver, a 28-year-old Milwaukee man, was arrested on suspicion of third-offense drunken driving and failure to yield right of way.
Nobody was injured in either of the incidents.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin planners to hold month of input sessions for sections 35/34
- Neighbors of New Berlin Hills golf course question proposed driving range
- Recycling textiles and local foods studied by New Berlin students
- 'Pinocchio,' a musical, slated for West Performing Arts Center at New Berlin West Middle and High Sc
- New Berlin School Board candidates battle on issues of educational direction and spending
- New Berlin settles Potkay case
- New trash pick up for New Berlin to begin March 30
- First Mr. New Belrin West pageant winner crowed
- New Berlin students won regional Scholastic Art Awards for 55 works of art, with 11 art pieces advan
- Two new eateries opening in New Berlin