New Berlin — Decisions on funding projects in the New Berlin Schools long-range facilities study is complicated by a potential school consolidation and a new vision for Eisenhower Middle/High School.
Eisenhower is particularly affected since a large portion of the nearly $25 million in potential projects are at Eisenhower.
"We're completely rethinking the way we use that school," said Roger Dickson, chief finance and operations officer. For example he said, the building could be more than a middle and a high school, it could be a charter school, too.
"We're forging a new vision at Eisenhower," Dickson said.
Some of those nearly $25 million in projects are at Poplar Creek and Orchard Lane elementary schools, which might one day be consolidated. The district is studying consolidating the district's two oldest schools, he said.
The idea awaits word from the city on school officials' questions involving section 35, said Melinda Mueller, director of communications for the district. Section 35 is a large tract of former farmland being readied for development east of Moorland Road.
One thing that won't be a complication to deciding on potential maintenance projects, as it turns out, is the possibility of both middle and high schools using the same athletic facilities. A study just concluded that it is not logistically feasible to operate one class "A" varsity field for any of the seven outdoor sports, Mueller said.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Driving range dropped from New Berlin Hills' master plan (1)
- New Berlin School District taxpayers would get bang for buck
- New Berlin School Board approves $3.2 million Eisenhower pool renovation (4)
- Traveling beer garden to visit Doctors Park
- Students rebuild vintage racing machine
- Something old, something new at New Berlin Historical Society event on June 21
- Boat for vets, disabled inoperable after suspected joyride on New Berlin lake
- New Berlin approves commercial building, blocks access to subdivision (1)
- Stanek Tool of New Berlin promotes apprenterships to ease skills gaps
- New Berlin Ike grad wins data contest at Duke