New Berlin — Decisions on funding projects in the New Berlin Schools long-range facilities study is complicated by a potential school consolidation and a new vision for Eisenhower Middle/High School.
Eisenhower is particularly affected since a large portion of the nearly $25 million in potential projects are at Eisenhower.
"We're completely rethinking the way we use that school," said Roger Dickson, chief finance and operations officer. For example he said, the building could be more than a middle and a high school, it could be a charter school, too.
"We're forging a new vision at Eisenhower," Dickson said.
Some of those nearly $25 million in projects are at Poplar Creek and Orchard Lane elementary schools, which might one day be consolidated. The district is studying consolidating the district's two oldest schools, he said.
The idea awaits word from the city on school officials' questions involving section 35, said Melinda Mueller, director of communications for the district. Section 35 is a large tract of former farmland being readied for development east of Moorland Road.
One thing that won't be a complication to deciding on potential maintenance projects, as it turns out, is the possibility of both middle and high schools using the same athletic facilities. A study just concluded that it is not logistically feasible to operate one class "A" varsity field for any of the seven outdoor sports, Mueller said.
— Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports: May 21, 2015
- News magazine ranks New Berlin Eisenhower best high school in state
- Memorial Day to be honored in Muskego, New Berlin
- Development of New Berlin farmland awaits landowners' consensus on road (1)
- New Berlin man, 26, charged in choking incident
- Volunteers sought for New Berlin Historical Society events
- In Brief: Church, football and Moorland Road
- Winter's not through with us yet
- 'Odd Couple (Female Version)' to open at Eisenhower High School
- New Berlin manufacturer in business since 1956 closes down