New Berlin — City approval of a proposed 156,000 square-foot Costco warehouse store in New Berlin could come as early as September, Greg Kessler, community development director, said Monday after the New Berlin Architectural Review Committee reviewed the proposal Monday.
The members-only warehouse merchandise and grocery store is proposed for the northeast corner of Moorland Road and Grange Avenue. It also would have an attached accessory tire center and a freestanding gas station.
"The proposal is consistent with the comprehensive plan for that area," Kessler said. "So far, the feedback we've been getting has been positive."
A public hearing on the rezoning and conditional use permit will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 13 before the Plan Commission, he said. The commission won't vote on a recommendation until September and the common council will need to vote on any zoning change.
Costco officials would like to open the store by August 2015, according to a letter sent to the city. Construction normally takes five or six months.
Costcos offer typical department store merchandise such as clothing, dry goods, appliances, furniture, hardware, auto accessories, grocery store items including baked goods, meats and produce, pharmacy, one-hour photo, hearing aid, optometry and travel services, according to the letter to City Hall.
The store would employ 175 to 200 full- and part-time employees and proposed store hours are 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. weekdays, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays.
Trucks would make deliveries from 5:30 a.m. to noon Mondays through Saturdays and the proposed gas station hours would be 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends.
Currently, there are five Costcos in Wisconsin — Grafton, Pewaukee, Green Bay and two in the Madison area. It has been reported that Costcos also are in the works for Menomonee Falls and Pleasant Prairie.
WHAT: public hearing before the New Berlin Plan Commission on a rezoning and conditional use permit for a Costco warehouse store proposed for Moorland Road and Grange Avenue, New Berlin
WHEN: 6 p.m. Aug. 13
WHERE: New Berlin City Hall, 3805 S. Casper Drive
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Propane tank explosions prompt warning from officials
- New Berlin teen hits red carpet at 'Jurassic World' Hollywood premiere
- Driving range dropped from New Berlin Hills' master plan (1)
- New Berlin School District taxpayers would get bang for buck
- New Berlin School Board approves $3.2 million Eisenhower pool renovation (4)
- Traveling beer garden to visit Doctors Park
- Students rebuild vintage racing machine
- Something old, something new at New Berlin Historical Society event on June 21
- Boat for vets, disabled inoperable after suspected joyride on New Berlin lake
- New Berlin approves commercial building, blocks access to subdivision (1)