Waukesha County schools could cancel classes due to the cold once again
Superintendents will hold conference call on Sunday
With extreme wind chills heading to southeastern Wisconsin once again early next week, superintendents will evaluate whether it's too cold for school.
Waukesha Superintendent Todd Gray said Friday that superintendents across Waukesha County will hold a conference call late Sunday afternoon to decide if they will close their schools on Monday.
Gray said they'll discuss their options at that time but they might not have a decision until very early Monday morning.
"Right now Monday's forecast at 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. would not necessarily cause us to close," Gray said. "That could change over the weekend."
Gray said a wind chill warning of minus 35 would close the schools but depending on conditions the districts may even consider closing with slightly less wind chills if there are strong wind gusts.
The Waukesha School District shut down its schools two straight days a couple weeks ago when wind chills were around minus 40.
The district had one weather-day built in its schedule, but the second day it has to make up May 23, a day that had been previously designated as a teacher in-service day.
According to the National Weather Service, Monday's high temperature in Waukesha is expected to be minus 5 with winds around 15 mph. Waukesha's Monday night temperature is expected to have a low around minus 19 with winds at 15 mph.
Tuesday's high is expected to be near minus 3.
- Gun jams, saving life of clerk during New Berlin gas station robbery
- New Berlin Library offers photo class to 'capture New Berlin'
- New Berlin to almost double its complement of voting machines
- New Berlin Police blotter: May 5, 2016
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- New Berlin Library patrons provide beehives, water buffalo to families
- Annual Eisenhower girls soccer charity game to benefit playground
- New Berlin high schools again deemed among state's most challenging
- Second New Berlin 'soccer mom' sentenced to four months in jail for embezzling money from club (2)
- New Berlin Police Blotter: April 28, 2016