An 88-year-old World War II veteran who is scheduled to go on an Honor Flight was cheated out of several thousands of dollars by a scammer posing as a legitimate tree cutting service, New Berlin police said.
The veteran paid the service up front to cut down several trees. The trees were cut down, but never removed. Some are very large, New Berlin Police Capt. Michael Glider said.
Police have the name of a potential suspect from Minnesota, but are warning other residents to beware of scams.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Dec. 2
- Police Report: Dec. 2
- An early look at election filings in New Berlin
- Memories descend upon WWII paratrooper in New Berlin
- Muskego School Board president won't seek re-election
- News & Notes: Nov. 28
- Police Report: Nov. 25
- Some names paved the way for New Berlin's history
- New Berlin Christmas Parade comes earlier in 2013
- Company emerges bigger and better in New Berlin