The pedestrian who died after being struck by a vehicle on Interstate 43 about 5:30 a.m. Saturday has now been identified by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department as Denise Merkel, 54, of the Sussex area.
Although the Sheriff's Department continues to investigate the incident, a news release from the department said authorities believe that Merkel walked across the traffic lane after pulling her disabled vehicle to the outside shoulder of I-43.
The accident happened on southbound I-43 about 1.1 miles south of Racine Avenue in New Berlin. Merkel was pronounced dead at the scene. Southbound I-43 was closed for about an hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carp shoot May 25 on Little Muskego Lake, two carp worth $500 each
- Newsweek names New Berlin schools to 'America's Best High Schools' list
- Waukesha Police Report
- Stumbling block cleared for proposed New Berlin Walmart
- News and notes
- New Berlin schools try to get students ready for work
- Things to do
- New Berlin developer favors condos where single-family homes were planned
- Police report: May 13
- New Berlin Walmart plan advances after panel recommends zoning change