New Berlin - The annual New Berlin Lions Club parade of checks has topped off $135,000 of donations the club has given during the 2012-13 Lions year.
The money was earned from the New Berlin Lions Wisconsin State Fair Corn Roast Stand, where many recipients also volunteer. Money also was earned from a fundraiser during the three days at the New Berlin Fourth of July picnic at Malone Park.
The single largest share this year went to the Vision Forward Association, which helps local children and adults who are blind or visually impaired live with their handicap. With Lions Clubs internationally concerned with helping the blind, the New Berlin Lions donated $7,500 to Vision Forward.
Closer to home, it awarded $7,000 in scholarships.
Donations of $5,000 each went to the Wisconsin Eye Bank, the Wisconsin Lions Foundation, the Salvation Army, the New Berlin Food Pantry and the Fisher House (offering lodging to the families of military and veterans who are hospitalized at the Clement J. Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee), as well as to the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
Among the other recipients of Lions donations are the New Berlin Historical Society, the New Berlin Soap Box Derby and the New Berlin Swim Club.
Other causes the Lions supported included the leader dog program, the Center for Hearing and Deafness, the Bold recreation program for the blind, the Wisconsin Lions Camp counselors, the Lions Youth Exchange program, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, the Boys and Girls Club of America, Waukesha Memorial Hospital cancer research, Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity, Wisconsin Senior Olympics and organizations aiding those with epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's and addictions.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Southeast New Berlin gas station becoming a robbery target
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- New Berlin librarian leaves an improved facility and grateful staff
- Police Report: April 14
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- New Berlin incumbent alderman defeated by former Illinois mayor