A 52-year-old man was stabbed by his 49-year-old girlfriend in a domestic dispute in New Berlin Tuesday that ended when tear gas was fired into their apartment, ending a three-hour standoff between the woman and police.
New Berlin police said late Tuesday they had no information on the man's condition.
Officers responded to the stabbing in the apartment building in the 1900 block of S. 124th St. shortly before 4 p.m., according to a police news release.
As officers tended to the man the woman fired a shot from their apartment and refused to surrender.
The police department's SWAT team arrived, tenants in the 12-unit apartment building were evacuated, 124th St. was cordoned off and West Allis police officers assisted in clearing an area of Greenfield Park near the standoff.
Police negotiators were unable to persuade the woman to come out of the apartment and tear gas was fired into the home shortly before 7 p.m.
The woman surrendered a short time later. She is expected to be charged in connection with the incident, police said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Character' coach named New Berlin Citizen of the Year
- New Berlin seeks policy for taxing units promoting development
- Fees shoot up for New Berlin recreation swim lessons, pool classes
- New Berlin sets hearing on proposed zero-increase property tax budget
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- No speakers at New Berlin schools' hearing on $5.1 million borrowing
- New Berlin Food Pantry to receive $10,000 from Hormel plant
- Lawyer turned missionary to hold fourth run/walk
- New Berlin CDA approves accessible housing grant program
- Parking lot paving starting any time at New Berlin's Valley View Park