A 52-year-old man was stabbed by his 49-year-old girlfriend in a domestic dispute in New Berlin Tuesday that ended when tear gas was fired into their apartment, ending a three-hour standoff between the woman and police.
New Berlin police said late Tuesday they had no information on the man's condition.
Officers responded to the stabbing in the apartment building in the 1900 block of S. 124th St. shortly before 4 p.m., according to a police news release.
As officers tended to the man the woman fired a shot from their apartment and refused to surrender.
The police department's SWAT team arrived, tenants in the 12-unit apartment building were evacuated, 124th St. was cordoned off and West Allis police officers assisted in clearing an area of Greenfield Park near the standoff.
Police negotiators were unable to persuade the woman to come out of the apartment and tear gas was fired into the home shortly before 7 p.m.
The woman surrendered a short time later. She is expected to be charged in connection with the incident, police said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 'Water farmers' join New Berlin's farming community
- New Berlin returns incumbents to school board
- Former Falls Village President's son dies in tragic Florida car accident
- Tornado watch in effect
- Waukesha man charged in crash at New Berlin Animal Hospital
- Business as usual, despite vehicle slamming into animal hospital
- Driver crashes into New Berlin animal clinic, ends high-speed pursuit
- Driver crashes into New Berlin animal clinic, ending early morning high speed pursuit
- Crush wine bar in downtown Waukesha will hold weekend full of events
- Firefighter of the Year hails from New Berlin Fire Department