A 52-year-old man was stabbed by his 49-year-old girlfriend in a domestic dispute in New Berlin Tuesday that ended when tear gas was fired into their apartment, ending a three-hour standoff between the woman and police.
New Berlin police said late Tuesday they had no information on the man's condition.
Officers responded to the stabbing in the apartment building in the 1900 block of S. 124th St. shortly before 4 p.m., according to a police news release.
As officers tended to the man the woman fired a shot from their apartment and refused to surrender.
The police department's SWAT team arrived, tenants in the 12-unit apartment building were evacuated, 124th St. was cordoned off and West Allis police officers assisted in clearing an area of Greenfield Park near the standoff.
Police negotiators were unable to persuade the woman to come out of the apartment and tear gas was fired into the home shortly before 7 p.m.
The woman surrendered a short time later. She is expected to be charged in connection with the incident, police said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Southeast New Berlin gas station becoming a robbery target
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- New Berlin librarian leaves an improved facility and grateful staff
- Police Report: April 14
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- New Berlin incumbent alderman defeated by former Illinois mayor