A man who provided a fatal dose of heroin to a 19-year-old New Berlin man was sentenced Thursday in Waukesha County Circuit Court to eight years in prison, according to online court records.
Alexander D. Grubor, 58, of New Berlin and his 21-year-old son bought the heroin in Milwaukee, and Grubor gave it to Scott F. Haase in the early morning hours of April 26, 2008, according to court records.
The son told police he saw his father give the heroin to Haase, according to a criminal complaint charging Grubor with first-degree reckless homicide via the delivery of drugs. Around 3 a.m., Grubor and his son grew concerned about Haase's appearance, the complaint says. They asked him several times if he wanted to go to the hospital, but he insisted he was fine. About 5½ hours later they found him unconscious, and Grubor called 911, according to the complaint.
Earlier this month, Grubor entered an Alford plea in the case, which means he maintains his innocense but acknowledged there was enough evidence to convict him. At sentencing, an Alford plea is treated the same as any other conviction.
After serving his prison term, Grubor must spend four years on extended supervision, according to court records.
His son, Alexander P. Grubor, was sentenced in April 2009 to nine months in jail with work-release privileges after being convicted of dealing heroin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- One family's story of poverty
- Special report: Poverty spills into schools in every corner of southeast metro area
- Probe of possible New Berlin teacher, student sexual contact continues
- Burglaries, car theft among New Berlin, Muskego cases in courts
- Police blotter: Feb. 4
- Inclusive playground to replace splashpad plan in New Berlin
- Beloved musical, 'Dreamcoat,' to open at New Berlin West PAC on Friday
- Probe continues into alleged New Berlin West teacher misconduct (1)
- BuySeasons of New Berlin to permanently lay off 128 employees
- New Berlin, Junior Woman's Club shelve splashpad, favor playground