A man who provided a fatal dose of heroin to a 19-year-old New Berlin man was sentenced Thursday in Waukesha County Circuit Court to eight years in prison, according to online court records.
Alexander D. Grubor, 58, of New Berlin and his 21-year-old son bought the heroin in Milwaukee, and Grubor gave it to Scott F. Haase in the early morning hours of April 26, 2008, according to court records.
The son told police he saw his father give the heroin to Haase, according to a criminal complaint charging Grubor with first-degree reckless homicide via the delivery of drugs. Around 3 a.m., Grubor and his son grew concerned about Haase's appearance, the complaint says. They asked him several times if he wanted to go to the hospital, but he insisted he was fine. About 5½ hours later they found him unconscious, and Grubor called 911, according to the complaint.
Earlier this month, Grubor entered an Alford plea in the case, which means he maintains his innocense but acknowledged there was enough evidence to convict him. At sentencing, an Alford plea is treated the same as any other conviction.
After serving his prison term, Grubor must spend four years on extended supervision, according to court records.
His son, Alexander P. Grubor, was sentenced in April 2009 to nine months in jail with work-release privileges after being convicted of dealing heroin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin school building projects dominated meeting: Building projects dominated meeting
- Residents bicker over potnetial levy increase for New Berlin scjools; eventually the proposal is app
- New Berlin annual meeting tug-of-war
- New Berlin firefighters present record breaking check to mda
- New Berlin may contract with Waukesha Fire Department for an underserved section of city
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 21, 2014 issue
- Developer uses drone video to demonstrate proposal
- Levy hike predicted for N.B. schools
- Costco moves forward, despite concerns
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue