Our nation honors Martin Luther King, Jr., who was a remarkable activist, civil rights leader, and orator.
His words were inspiring and powerful.
Click on the BrainyQuote web site for numerous Martin Luther King, Jr. quotes. Here's a sampling:
- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
- "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom."
- "A right delayed is a right denied. "
- "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
- "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."
- "Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."
- "Life's most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?"