Information for the New Berlin community on school district news, events, and celebrations of success.
ADMINISTRATIVE TEAM REPORT
Strategic Goals Update / Facilities:
Superintendent Joe Garza shared that summer construction projects are moving forward on time and on budget. There should be no disruption to student learning once the school year begins.
Long-Range Facilities Planning Community Poll Presentation:
Background on Facilities Plan
· The School District of New Berlin (SDNB) Board of Education has approved an $18 million Long-range Facilities Plan to address facility needs.
· Projects that support safety, academics and energy efficiency are being funded with the District’s operating budget, fund balance, and borrowed funds through the energy efficiency revenue limit exemption (Act 32).
Projects already approved in the plan include all SDNB schools receiving:
· Upgrades to security (doors, security cameras & monitoring devices, remodeled front offices to better control visitor access)
· Renovations to increase energy efficiency for long-term cost savings
· Necessary code-related and ADA accessibility updates
· General interior and exterior maintenance and upkeep
While projects will be completed at all schools, New Berlin Eisenhower is receiving the most updates:
· New HVAC system to promote a quality learning environment
· Science and Project Lead the Way room remodeling/updates
· Locker room remodeling/updates
· Replaced PA system throughout the school
· New auditorium seating for safety purposes
· Updates to bathrooms
· Additional student learning and professional collaboration space
Unfunded Projects & Next Steps
The School District has $22 million in identified projects that currently have no funding source. The District has hired Patron Insight, a research company that specializes in working with school districts, to conduct unbiased research that will provide data to the Board to continue the planning process.
Patron Insight will be asking New Berlin taxpayers their opinions on $14 million of unfunded projects, including:
· Installing air conditioning at Poplar Creek and Orchard Lane Elementary
· HVAC upgrades at New Berlin West
· Replacement of exterior doors at New Berlin West, Poplar Creek and Orchard Lane Elementary
· Replacing the pool at Eisenhower
· Adding gym space at Eisenhower
Ken DeSieghardt of Patron Insight walked the Board through a draft survey and obtained their feedback on questions. Patron Insight will be conducting a phone poll with 379 registered voters in the district to obtain a representative and reliable sample of responses. A survey will also be available online for any member of the community to complete, and a similar staff survey on projects will also be distributed.
The poll will be conducted September 19 – October 3. (Update since the meeting on 8/11.)
Secondary School Programming: High School Physical Education Credit Waiver Option Update (Act 105):
Superintendent Garza introduced a policy that states:High school students who actively participate and complete 95% of a school sponsored sport season or 90+ hours of a state/nationally sanctioned sport (i.e. USA Gymnastics Association, National Wheelchair Basketball Association, etc.) may complete an additional .5 credit in English, mathematics, science, social studies, or a health elective in lieu of the final .5 credit of their physical education requirement.
While not considered WIAA sanctioned sports, all school sponsored sports, including cheerleading, poms and dance qualify for this waiver, as well as that of participation in 90+ hours of a non-school sponsored state/nationally sanctioned sport.
The course in lieu of the final .5 credit of their physical education requirement must be completed by the end of the first semester of the senior year. Students must not have had an athletic code violation which led to a suspension during the sport season to be eligible for the course in lieu of the final .5 credit of their physical education requirement.
The Board will take action on this policy August 25.
Resolution Designating Public Depositories and Authorizing Withdrawal of School District Moneys:
The Board re-approved a resolution that is sent to each approved financial institution and establishes the District’s intent as to authorization regarding banking transactions.
Budget Hearing & Annual Meeting:
Monday, August 25, 7 p.m., New Berlin West Middle/High School Performing Arts Center
Please note: These highlights do not serve as Board of Education meeting minutes and do not include all agenda items. Some regular district reports, closed session and consent agenda items are not included.