NOW:53146:USA01489
http://widgets.journalinteractive.com/cache/JIResponseCacher.ashx?duration=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.wp.myweather.net%2FeWxII%2F%3Fdata%3D*USA01489
66°
H 73° L 57°
Clear | 3MPH

Kelly's Korner

I am married with one child. I have been a resident of New Berlin for 8 years. I enjoy the New Berlin community and I am proud to be a part of it. I love arts and crafts, painting, beading, coupon clipping, cooking and writing.

Invasion of Bugs in New Berlin

bugs, flyswatters, do-it-yourself, ladybug, bumblebee, dowels, New Berlin

There is an invasion of bugs in New Berlin, and they are spreading like wildfire!

Only they are not the kind of bugs you might be thinking of. These particular bugs do not destroy your plants or flowers. On the contrary, folks have found them to enhance their outdoor garden space. I am referring to ladybugs and bumblebees that are made out of re-cycled bowling balls! Yep, I said bowling balls!

It all started with a do-it-yourself project that my sister and I spotted in a magazine. How cool would that be to make a ladybug made out of a bowling ball? We all talk about projects we’d like to do, but can never find enough time. We even go as far as to buy all of the supplies, only to find them stuffed in a corner a year later, collecting dust. Well, I was determined to try this one out!  

All you really need is a ball, a drill, some paint and some wooden dowels. I already had some supplies on hand. I found a few bowling balls at Goodwill and also stumbled across someone who was giving them away!

To make the bugs’ antennas, use 1/8” wooden dowel rods and ball knobs. (We got ours from JoAnn Fabric.) We cut them to about 7 inches long and drilled holes in the wooden rounds. You can use the holes already in the bowling balls, but we decided to drill our own. We wanted to avoid using epoxy to keep them in place.

The project was easily done in our kitchen. To create our masterpiece, we began by propping the ball up on a roll of masking tape. Our balls were black, so we used painters tape to frame the bug and outline its back and circles. The rest was all filled in with three coats of red acrylic paint. Finally, we attached the antennas and painted them black. It was a perfect fit.

Once the paint dried, we removed the tape and touched up any imperfections. The first ladybug made it through production and turned out great! A coat of spray lacquer and the bug was complete!

For the bumblebee, the process was similar. We used the same dowels for the antennas and drilled a few extra holes on top of the ball where we could anchor wings. The wings were made out of colored flyswatters cut down to about 5 inches. We used the thumbhole of the bowling ball already in place to attach a stinger.

I couldn’t wait to find the ladybug and bumblebee a home in my garden. They definitely added color and dimension to the backyard. And there is no way the wind would take those twelve-pounders for a ride, either!

Over time, we had made about 25 different bugs! We used pink, red, black and blue bowling balls. Although similar, each bug is unique.

So, if you feel a hint of craftiness, give this project a try! It was easy, relaxing, enjoyable and a great way to distress. If we can do it, you can too! See pictures of the latest bug invasion in New Berlin below

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools

Archives