State Senator Mary Lazich (R-New Berlin) represents parts of four counties: Milwaukee, Waukesha, Racine, and Walworth. Her Senate District 28 includes New Berlin, Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Muskego, Waterford, Big Bend, the town of Vernon and parts of Greenfield, East Troy, and Mukwonago. Senator Lazich has been in the Legislature for more than a decade. She considers herself a tireless crusader for lower taxes, reduced spending and smaller government.
It appears Congress will wrap up its work this week without taking a vote before the November elections on extending the Bush-era tax cuts. The tax cuts are scheduled to expire December 31, 2010. Without a vote to extend the tax cuts, rates would increase on income taxes, estate taxes, capital gains and dividends.
Approval of an extension of the tax cuts is critical. Pete Sepp, Executive Vice President of the National Taxpayers Union and National Taxpayers Union Foundation has compiled ten reasons tax relief needs to be approved for American taxpayers:
1) Failure to extend the tax cuts will result in the worst tax increase in our history.
2) Extending the tax cuts preserves the progressive tax system.
3) The potential tax increases would not be imposed on just the wealthy.
4) Those who wish to end the tax cuts are not sincere about cutting the deficit.
5) Without the tax cuts, a complex tax system would become even more complex.
6) Tax increases have already hurt our middle class.
7) Jobs depend on the tax cuts.
8) Small businesses depend on the tax cuts.
9) Claims of revenue losses from the tax cuts are speculative.
The National Taxpayers Union provides more detail about the significance of this issue here.